Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ripple Effects

Today I made our second grocery store trip of the pay period. Its the trip I detest because we are already out of everything, but can only buy the essentials without busting up our budget. I felt Dave Ramsey perched on my shoulder like Blackbeard's parrot eyeing my every selection. "Cubed cheese?," he chided. "CUBED CHEESE? Buy the 8 oz chunk and hack it up yourself, you lazy over-spender!" He carried on like this the whole time... it was terribly exhausting.

At the register I loaded up our stuff on the conveyor belt, keeping an item or two aside for emergency re-shelving in case I underestimated the total. A friend of mine got in line behind me and we chatted for a minute while we waited, though I was distracted by the increasing total on the register. When the checker finished I went for the scanner with my trusty debit card. Suddenly, I heard a "Wait, Don't run that!" from my friend. I looked up thinking I was mistakenly overcharged or something, but instead she gave the checker her card.

Girls, she bought my groceries. All of them.

"You don't have to do that!" I said, but I could see by her smile that it was a pleasure. I couldn't help it. I started crying right there in line at Super Target. THEN, the cashier started crying. I mean really, who goes to Super Target to be nice? I thanked my friend profusely and got all of our stuff in the car.

I was so stinkin' blessed, I had to call a few friends and tell them. Since I am usually complaining after I go to Super Target, it was a refreshing break for them. I dialed and talked all the way home. Here is the cool part: Everyone I told was inspired to do the same thing for someone else. I am getting chills just writing about it.

So, today, because of the overflow of love in one woman's heart, the ripple effects of blessing are as follows*:
Me
My boys
Cashier
Greg
My mom
My Sister
4 different friends (so far)
Unknown number of people who will soon be similarly blessed by those named above

And of course... you.

That is a huge return for a simple act of generosity. So, what could you do with $93.86?

*I had to add a few new people to the list since the original posting on Tales From the Running Mama. I can't keep it in. Whoop whoop!

5 comments:

Marci said...

Awesome!! and so much fun! encouraging others seems so "small" ut then look how much blessing!! thanks for sharing!

robin jones :) said...

SO AWESOME ANDI!!!!!
thanks for sharing & inspiring ...

and yes ... i could "hear" Dave Ramsey saying "CUBED CHEESE?!?!" too!!! ha!!! :) you're such a GREAT writer!!!!!! (SMILE)

Anonymous said...

Hey girl - this blog is amazing (I mean the whole thing with links and information and inspiration). We are all so blessed by you!

Jessica Rolf said...

What a precious gift, not really the groceries (although that is an amazing gift!), but the ACT of doing that for someone! Truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing that!

Anonymous said...

i love stories like this...God is so good and knows just when we need a good blessing!!

thanks for sharing.